BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hospital days and adjustment

So Aeson ended up in NICU for eleven days. The doctor assigned to him was actually the medical director of the NICU, so that was nice. Eric's parents visited frequently. Westen got one visit. (The place isn't very family friendly.. I suppose because of germs and so on) At first, Aeson was getting oxygen through a CPAP, he had a feeding tube in (and actually lost none of his weight going the first couple days with no food-- they explained it takes too much work for them to eat), he had an IV in his little hand, and his little heels were frequently stuck to test for jaundice. His jaundice score fluctuated the entire time we were there. He had to go under the 'bili' lights three times.. during which his eyes were covered by a little mask and we were unable to hold him. We didn't even get to hold him for the first time until either my first or second day there. It's sort of all a blur now. I kept everyone regularly updated on facebook, so all the details are there. Eric and I stayed in hotels, as the hospital was an hour and a half away from home. Westen was perfectly fine staying with the grandparents, but it was still very hard for me emotionally to be away from him for so long. We made a couple trips home but then I felt bad being away from Aeson. It was all very rough, especially the days before Aeson really started to get better. Eric and I got along better than ever up there, though, and I was glad he was the one I had to go through this with. My healing was rough the first couple of days but by a week out I was on no pain medication and really felt like I hadn't even just had a baby! (Except for the weight! ..which unfortunately many people mistook for me still being pregnant.. That was a little hard to deal with too in those first days without my baby there with me to show that no I was no longer pregnant) Aeson got better little by little each day. They eventually began bottle feeding but had to keep the tube in until he really got the hang of it. They eased the oxygen off little by little and after my first day there they had changed his mask to a much better kind. He was on a 3 hr schedule and except for at night, we were there for pretty much every diaper change and feeding. (And got to do them all!) By the end of his time there, the only thing that was holding us back was the jaundice. They actually kept him one day longer than they said they would (which resulted in another emotional breakdown for me :)) because of it.

BUT, we finally got to bring him home. That was the best day ever. Westen rode up with us and they had him all ready so it was a very quick in and out! I had to take him the next day to get yet another jaundice test (after which his dr here decided no more!) and just over the weekend at home he gained 5 oz and was up to 7lbs, 10oz. He went back to the doctor yesterday for a weekly weight check and he was up to 8lbs, 8oz.. He gained 14oz in a week! They'd told us to expect an ounce a day. :)

It's been an adjustment since being home. It's much more difficult taking care of two kids than I thought it would be! I'm extremely thankful that while Eric works long days, he only works three a week, so he's home to help the majority of the time. We've had some visitors but not really too many. My sister and her husband have been over every day to see their newest little nephew. :)

Nursing has been pretty rough. While Aeson was in the hospital, I pumped regularly so that's what Aeson always had.. but through a bottle. I was also producing 2-3 times what he was eating. Since being home, we've tried decreasing the bottles but he still has 3-4 a day (2.5 ounce bottles). I've tried just nursing him and it has definitely increased but there are certain times where he still cries afterwards like he's hungry and I'm just too exhausted. My goal was to solely breastfeed, but I'm not so sure anymore. It's very frustrating. :( I'm just so darn tired.. and he nurses every 1-2 hours sometimes! I am glad we've decreased the bottles, though. We'll see how we continue to progress. I've been in contact with a lactation consultant here and she's been over once. Some of the things I've learned have been helpful but some things seem so conflicting.

I seem to have completely forgotten about the sleep deprivation as well! Or maybe Westen slept better, I'm not sure. Aeson seems to be spoiled already too with being on us 24/7! ..Which results in him crying when he's put in his bassinet and sleeping much better when he's in bed with us.. BUT that scares me to death too. Gah.. the days of adjustment are so hard!

However, Aeson's healthy and doing well and nothing is wrong with him.. so that's what's important! We'll all adjust.. eventually. :)

1 comments:

Leigh said...

I am so pleased that Aeson is home and healthy. The adjustment from one child to two can be tough, especially seeing as you had a bit of a rough start. But you will get there! Sending you all my best wishes.