The life of a nursing mom of two is the busiest life ever, I SWEAR! It is so hard to find the time to do anything. I'm in my third week back to work.. I get up earlier than I ever did before, in order to get ready, get everyone taken care of, nurse, and drop the kids off at daycare before going to work.. then I leave work mid-morning to go nurse Aeson.. back to work to eat lunch.. pump in the afternoon.. finally get off work to go pick the boys back up.. and then all Aeson wants to do in the evenings is nurse! I'm lucky to get enough time to make dinner (something Eric never does) and get things ready for the next day. It is absolute craziness. I haven't been able to clean house since I've been back to work and while Eric tries to help, it seems like I always have to nag at him.. and not enough gets done. And exercise? NO time for that! Aeson turned 12 weeks yesterday and my weight has been at a standstill for quite some time now. I have about 10lbs I have to lose to be at my pre-pregnancy weight, and I'd like to lose more. (I'd gained some just before getting pregnant) But I seriously cannot fit that into my day. I'm trying to just relax and have patience.. Right now, my main job IS giving that little baby all his nutrition.. I just have to wonder when it will ease up a little. I guess the big thing is that it just becomes very hard to have 'me' time when you have multiple kids! Because even if I do have time, I try to give Westen one-on-one since he rarely gets that anymore. I feel bad that he has kind of taken the back burner but again, I try to remind myself that this won't be forever.
On the positive side, oh how I love to feed my little Aeson. We kicked the shields (on his own!) and he is nursing perfectly now.. no problem! I love when he starts to fall asleep but when I talk to him, his eyes fly open. I love how he can nurse all night as he pleases now and I'm still able to get my sleep! I love how it's something that's beneficial for him AND for me.
Aeson is getting SO big. 3-6 month clothes are getting small on him already. We weighed him on Sunday at my in-law's, and we believe he's around 14lbs,14oz. We tried the cloth diapers for the first time over the weekend and love them!! I was pleased to realize that they really do work just as well as disposables.
We also went to a baby shower for my sister-in-law this weekend, and one of the aunts got after me in front of everyone! I was pretty embarassed. They were asking about Aeson's sleeping, and somehow I just had to say that he sleeps with us (even stating that I KNOW some people have strong opinions about it).. and I was told very strongly NOT to do that. She said she knew someone who rolled over on their baby and killed it (well, she said, they didn't know if it was the mom or dad). Okay, now hopefully, hopefully I will NEVER have to experience anything like that.. AND I could be wrong here.. but I've done my research and I KNOW myself. I sleep very lightly and even the slightest fussing wakes me up. I really believe I would never, ever roll on top of something and NOT know it. I actually don't even move in my sleep because I'm always right in the place where Aeson can eat as he wishes. I've never rolled on Westen when he was sleeping with us.. on cats when they've been in bed with us.. etc. From the books I've read, women have co-slept for centuries.. here and in other countries. I also take precautions like holding the blanket IN my hand and down around Aeson's waist, so there's no chance of it going over him. Not to mention it's not a heavy blanket and he FREAKS out when stuff is over his head (a battle every morning! :)). Anyway, it's nothing I would ever recommend for other people because they have to know themselves and be comfortable with whatever they do, but it works for us and I really (god forbid) think it will be fine. I didn't say all of this to her, though, not wanting to cause a scene. I hate it when people try to impose their beliefs onto you... especially in such a forceful manner.
Anyhow, Aeson is SO smiley these days. He's most happy in the mornings. I love love love to see his face break out into a big grin at the sound of my voice. Even today at daycare, he was crying when I got there (where's my mommy to feed me?!), and as soon as he heard my voice, he quieted. While he is still a fussier type child, he has definitely gotten better and has definite periods of wakefulness and contentedness. I don't know how but he also always seems to 'know' when there is something important that I want him to be quiet for! :) And he's perfect at those times. I still always stress beforehand, though. :)
Another thing that I haven't mentioned yet is that Aeson has a large tongue for a baby. It's not causing him any difficulty eating or anything like that, and the doctor said that some babies just have that and they always grow into them. :) However, my family will not stop talking about how something might be 'wrong' with him. It drives me CRAZY. Clearly, he was in the best hospital around here for TEN days after his birth.. a hospital where they gave other babies diagoses of Down's etc.. and no word about him. He's clearly met all his milestones so far and appears to be JUST like other babies.. just with a tongue that is often visible and he's often playing with. It even looks like he tries to move it like ours when we talk.. so funny! Now clearly, again, I have no way of knowing if there IS something we don't know about but I honestly don't believe there is.. and I just wish people would stop talking about it! Even if there was something, who cares??
Boy, I'm ranting today. :) Had lots to write about!
Westen's adoption was final on October 14. Eric and I went to court, and he is now legally his daddy. :)
Hope everyone has a good Halloween!
Hello out there!
9 years ago

3 comments:
Wow, sounds like you've got a LOT going on! :) But in a good way as well. How has work been for you? Glad that you are still nursing Aeson and that he is becoming so chubby! Cute! Wonderful news about Weston's adoption!!
WOW. I am SO proud of you for continuing to nurse even with all the craziness of working and taking care of the house and Westen. :)
I too have found out how strong people's opinions are on everything related to babies, but especially co-sleeping. I have gotten to the point where I don't offer any information in casual conversations about how I parent. Seriously, I skirt questions and everything... I know I should be loud and proud about my decisions, but I hate having to explain or defend myself about things that I have REALLY dedicated time and research to.
Anyway, I love reading your updates and seeing how things are going with you and the boys. I think of you often!
Thank you Lerin! I know exactly what you mean.. I'm definitely vocal towards those who will listen, but those who won't it's pretty much just pointless!
And work.. It's okay.. Wish I was home though. :)
Post a Comment