BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Monday, August 8, 2011

Birth options

A week or so ago, I met with a local doula. She's a fantastic person, and I'd actually met her previously through La Leche. She gave me lots of information, including books and papers to take home. I'm fairly certain we're going to hire her for the birth.. My only reservation is if I have to have a c-section, I don't see a doula as very necessary. (She assured me she's still there for support, but that's just my own thought) Anyway, I didn't realize how MUCH you have a choice in during the birth process! My brain was crammed with stuff when I left, and I still haven't even looked too much at everything! She also talked about the people she'd worked with and the births she's already attended, and Carthage really sounded like the better place in every way. The midwife there seems amazing. I actually have an appointment there tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to it. I'll see what she has to say, but I think I'm leaning more toward going there.

The doula was the one to tell me to watch the dvd Orgasmic Birth. The title is really kind of misleading. It really was all about the positive parts of labor and birth, the good hormones that are present in your body at the time, and things like that. Eric and I watched it together, and I was really glad he did! He's never seen anyone in labor, and it was surprising to him what it was really like. I think he thought it was going to be women screaming in horrible pain! It really made me want a VBAC even more and feel even more strongly about going to a midwife. They had some interesting facts too.. Like how the World Health Organization went worldwide and determined to save mommas and babies, the c-section rate should be between 10 & 15 percent.. and the United States is somewhere in the 30's! Also, they've found that as c-section rates go up (beyond the 10-15 necessary ones), problems/deaths also go up. You'd think it would be the opposite. They also discussed how bad some interventions, like Pitocin, are for you & how they can actually cause a c-section. It really made me think about why there's a time limit on labor anyway.. So many doctors (including mine w/ Westen) start Pitocin or some other drug because you're not progressing fast enough.. Maybe there's a scientific reason I don't know about, but it seems to me like you will when it's time! (or most people will anyway) Another interesting tidbit was that c-sections, even "emergency" c-sections are far, far more common Monday-Friday. Hmm!

I really want to avoid a c-section if at all possible. Unlike our hospital here, I feel like the midwife in Carthage would do everything she could to give me a normal birth. I understand there are reasons where one is warranted, and if I get the previa again or something like that, I may have to have one.. but otherwise, I for sure plan on trying a VBAC. For those who aren't familiar, there is a very small chance the scar from my c-section COULD open and cause a life-threatening situation for me and baby BUT from what I've read, the chance and risks associated with that are MUCH less than any c-section, particularly repeat ones. So, anyway, we'll get there when we get there. Pregnancy and childbirth can be so scary! With as anxious of a person as I am, I think this may be our last one, at least for a looooong while!

By the way, we're a fourth of the way there already! I was 10 weeks last week.. crazy how fast it goes by!

0 comments: