BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Monday, February 27, 2012

Aubryn's Birth Story

Thursday, we were so, so busy running around trying to get everything ready for the birth and the days after. That night, I slept well until 1:30 a.m. but then woke up to go to the bathroom and couldn't get back to sleep after that. I got on the computer and finally started getting ready, since we were getting up at 3:30 a.m. anyway. The boys had a sleepover in our room that night, sleeping on lots of blankets on our floor, and they both woke up while we were getting things ready so we moved them up in our bed. Mom got here at 4:15 and we gathered all our stuff and left for Carthage. I drove, because Eric driving makes me too nervous! I swear, he's about gotten us in accidents the last several times he drove! I was already nervous anyway and it was sleeting/snowing (which makes me more nervous :)), so we took our time and got there just after 5 a.m. My eyes filled with tears before we got out of the van, because I was really pretty scared. I didn't want to go in but knew I had to.

Someone in ER checked us in, and I studied the board with all the names of who was on call for surgery, cardio, anesthesia, etc, knowing those would be the people we soon saw. We were walked to OB next and taken to our room. It was HUGE! The hospital is new and everything is so modern and beautifully decorated. Our room had so much room, a kitchen area (with fridge, microwave, and sink), and a huge bathroom with a shower/whirlpool bath. I changed into my gown and laid down to get monitored. Our nurse came on at 5:30 a.m. and we ended up having the same two nurses (an RN for me, named Katy & an LPN for the baby, named Ashley) each day we were there - from 5:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. They were AMAZING. The only problem we had was my IV - She was unable to get it after two sticks, so she had a nurse from surgery come (who was equally as amazing) & she got it right away.

We were disappointed to realize we got no cell phone service there. We could pick up wi-fi to get on facebook and the internet but couldn't call or text anyone, nor could we receive them. The phone in the room could only call locally too, but they did give us the number & Eric soon got that to everyone so they could call us. Our doula got there and my dad not long after. The anesthesiologist came in (Mike) and explained everything he was going to do, what I was going to feel, and all that I could expect when I went back to surgery. He was incredibly nice and showed me how to do everything, even getting down & sitting on the floor! He discussed the risks, which scared me more than anything, but I knew he had to. The doctor came in during all of this too and prayed for us before heading out. That definitely made me feel more calm, but I still felt like I just wanted to go home at this point.

The in-between is a blur. I'm sure I was probably too scared to remember anything! I think they wheeled me to surgery, leaving my dad in the waiting room and Eric right outside of surgery. As soon as we passed through the doors and I saw the operating room, I started crying. I was just so overwhelmed and scared.. so many thoughts and feelings going through me. Everyone was completely amazing, though, comforting me, holding/rubbing my hand, saying all sorts of positive things. I seriously cannot say enough good things about the staff there. I couldn't IMAGINE any better, and I seriously wouldn't believe it if someone said anywhere else in the WORLD was better than there.

I sat on the table, just like Mike had told me to, and he began to feel my back. The spinal went very well. I was shaking throughout all of it, just from fear. He told me afterwards he was "like oh no" when he first saw my back because of my scoliosis, but once he felt it, he knew it would be fine. I laid down then and started feeling warm and tingly. My fears went away then.. I think that was what I'd been most scared of and now that it was over and working, I felt calm again. They prepped me and then brought Eric in. Now he was the one incredibly nervous! He kept asking me if I was okay. My blood pressure dropped just once, to the point of feeling a little weird, but Mike quickly gave me something to boost it & I was back to feeling normal.

The c-section seemed to take forever. I was extremely glad the doctor was taking his time and doing things carefully, but at the same time, I just wanted it over. They told us she had lots of long hair and told Eric to get his camera ready. She also HAD turned head down, which I was incredibly thankful for. I'd gone to the chiro the day before and done lots of praying that she'd turn in some way that would make it easier. They still had to do lots of pushing and pulling and after a couple of tries ended up using the vacuum to get her out. She immediately started screaming her little head off and continued to. Eric and I both started crying. It was so beautiful to hear after hearing only one little cry when Aeson came out.

Aubryn was taken over to be checked out and Eric went with her. He got to cut the cord there (they did do delayed cord clamping, even with the c-section). He took tons of pictures and the doctor joked that she already had a facebook page. Eric showed me all the pictures and they brought her over to me. Mike (who had been incredibly comforting the whole time, telling me I was in the top 5% of patients he'd had-- to which Lila, our midwife, added that I'd been one of her favorites too :)) even said something about getting the baby right up next to me for skin to skin, and got us in position for a couple of photos. Eric and the baby then went to our room, while they finished me up. I was taken to recovery, where Eric got to visit me, then our doula, and finally the baby was brought in for more skin to skin. She'd gotten some with daddy as well & had tried to nurse on him! I really wasn't there long & as soon as I got to my room, the nurses got Aubryn latched on to nurse. She took to it like a complete pro!

Aubryn was born at 7:38 a.m. and she weighed 8 lbs, 5 oz and was 21 inches long. She was completely perfect in every way.

Dad left after seeing both of us. Niki, Hodge & Jalane, and Mom visited us while in the hospital.

Westen & Aeson got to meet her that afternoon. Aeson didn't (and hasn't) really paid attention to her at all. He's given her a couple of kisses but isn't interested in holding her. He smiles if you pretend she's talking to him or kissing him, and he smiled when he saw her nursing. (I wasn't sure what he'd think of that!) Westen is extremely proud of her and completely in love! I think he's said "she's so cute!" a million times! He wanted to hold her constantly, and he comforts her when she cries.

She really has been an excellent baby so far. She slept a lot the first night. The second night, she wanted held more. She really only cries when she's naked and fusses when she's hungry. We're just in love with her! I wish time could stand still. I know it goes by way too quickly when they're this little.

The first night, they had me up to walk and I started crying it hurt so bad. I couldn't even take a step. They gave me more pain medicine and I tried after a while longer and then was able to walk down the hall and back. That night I could just tell I felt so much better and by the time I woke up, I really felt pretty good. I was up to walk that morning and then really up ever since then. Everyone said how great I was doing, and I was really amazed too. I really haven't had much pain at all. Nothing at ALL like the first c-section. I still take it easy, of course, and am not up for long periods of time, but there's just none of the stinging and horrible pain like there was last time. Even the ride home was perfectly fine! We left after 48 hours there and have been doing well at home since.

Aubryn had her first doctor's appointment today, and she was up to 8lbs, 3 oz. She'd been 7lbs, 10 oz when we left the hospital. Everything is really going perfectly, and I just wish I could stay in this moment forever!

3 comments:

Good Timing said...

Thank you for posting your birth story and sharing it with us. In glad you had such a positive experience, even though it wasn't the VBAC you hoped for. I think this just goes to show that the only birth plan we really need is healthy mom and healthy baby. Loved all the pics you posted on fb. Aubryn is so adorable and doesn't look like a smushed newborn! She's lovely and I can see a lot of Aeson in her. :) Keep me posted on her updates, yay for bfing going so well too! You are an inspiration for me and I can only hope for as positive of an experience as you. Ps. Can't believe how nice your hosp room was, wow!!!

BeckyT said...

Ah, new babies are just so wonderful. Enjoy these first few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm so happy for you and your family! I can't wait to hear the story from you tomorrow and to see baby Aubryn.